Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014
Ridge Spring News
Happy New Year!!

We are beginning a new year.  Have you made any New Year’s Resolutions?  I am but I will not tell anyone.  The days are getting longer again and the future looks bright.  Our small town and region is moving forward and we have so much to be thankful for.  I generally take the month of January off in writing the column and have guest writers to fill in.  I have been doing this column for 12 ½ years with no pay yet I keep doing it with the help of so many.  I am so thankful.  Help me do it for another 6 years.

Lee Ann Perez - One Ash Farm & Dairy: We have finally dried out and now we are enjoying watching the piglets grow, and learn how to run in and out of their pen.  All of the animals are enjoying the sunshine after all that rain, and we have seen so many doves and other birds flying around.  On Christmas night we marveled at the clear sky and all of the stars.  As we get ready to embark on 2015, we are reflecting back on the blessings from this past year.  Thanks to all we have met and done business with and special thanks to all our friends, for being an important part of our 2014!  We hope you all have had a good year, and are looking forward to a happy and prosperous New Year!

Happy New Year!  Off the Beaten Path is celebrating 6 months in business in Ridge Spring.  We are so excited to be downtown and looking forward to the serving you with incredible handcrafted merchandise and artisans' work.  We are looking forward to the addition of 3 new vendors in January.  Be sure to stop in and see what we have to offer.  We are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday-Saturday from 10 AM-5PM

The following story is by Sadie Davis.  I appreciate her dedication, faith and love for others.  Thank you, Sadie Davis.

This Is My Story
By Sadie Davis
As Director of Mt. Alpha Baptist Church Vacation Bible School, I became interested in new ideas to improve or add to our VBS Classes.  This interest motivated me to visit some local churches VBS’s such as Ridge Spring Baptist, Philippi Baptist and Mt. Pleasant Baptist. These churches along with Mt. Pleasant Baptist would invite us to attend.  Each church had its own charity mission and we (our grandchildren and cousins) participated and contributed to their charities. Philippi Baptist Church encouraged students to support the Operation Christmas Child Shoe Box Ministry by donating toys, educational items, money for postage and other non-perishable items that would brighten a child’s eyes. The purpose of this ministry is to spread the love and acceptance of Jesus. Samaritan’s Purse first began collecting shoe box gifts in 1993. By 2013, God blessed the ministry to reach almost 10 million children.
One year later, I met this lady (Jennifer Jutkofsky)  in Lexington, SC and she asked if I were familiar with the Samaritan’s Purse/OCC Shoe Box Ministry. I said, “No, I am not”.   She gave me a bulletin which was a Special Report on the mission to read. I became interested and continued my research on the internet. The one seed Jennifer Jutkofsky planted began to grow inside of me.  My love and interest for children inspired me to embark upon this journey.  God’s Spirit touched me and there was no turning back. I asked God to help me collect enough children items to fill 100 shoe boxes.  I had great faith and no doubt that I would reach this goal. As a result of God’s working behind the scene, the love of Christians in our church and community, Christians helped to reach my expected goal and beyond by filling 130 shoe boxes.  One hundred and thirty children will learn about the love of Jesus!  Because of my overly whelming excitement, I didn’t realize at the moment that I would need $7.00 postage for each box! “Wow!!!” I said. I went back to God and asked Him to help me collect the postage to mail as many boxes as possible. Because of God’s love, my faith, loving Christians In our church, community Christians and friends, $ 731.00 was collected!! The amazing thing about this charity assignment from God is, I never doubted that the mission would not be fulfilled.  I maintained a joy and still have this joy about helping some deprived child to be happy and most of all, teaching them while they are young about the love of Jesus!
 One of our church members, Calvin Felder, shared his experience while stationed in Afghanistan. He said the children are so thankful for the small things they receive.  He said, “The mission is needed and thank God we are willing to share the word of Jesus through the OCC”.
I went back to God and ask for help again!  I said, God, I need another Christian who would understand my Christian motive and drive and willing to work (excluding self gratification) and share my joy.  Believe it or not, God blessed me with one Christian, Madelyn Martin.  We worked two separate days packing 130 boxes and applying the bar code postage. There was so much joy in our task packing the boxes.
We acted and worked as if we were working for pay to feed our family. Near the end there were 30 boxes to be wrapped with Christmas paper.  We needed Christmas paper and someone to help wrap the boxes. God delegated two helpers, Bea Davis donated paper and Angelin Butler wrapped all the boxes!  Thank God, I decided to purchase 100 decorated shoe boxes which eliminated more wrapping. Dollar General in Ridge Spring, SC donated big boxes to pack the shoe boxes for easy delivery.  They were carried to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church located off Hwy. No. 1 one of the local drop- off stations.
 Boxes will be shipped to Charlotte, NC and packed for international shipping.  Six of us (Clifton Felder, Joseph Butler, Madelyn Martin, Beatrice Davis, Angelin Butler and Sadie Davis) plan to go to Charlotte, NC, December 11th to help inspect and pack boxes for international shipping.  We ask that you pray that we have a safe trip and a spiritual experience.  I have been called to work on many   Christian missions but this seems to be one of the largest. I thank God for using me and others to accomplish this mission to help spread the Word of Jesus. My love and sincere gratitude are more than words can express to all of you who helped me fill the 130 boxes and generous donations for the postage. I am so thankful to all and may God continue to bless you for your giving!! My experience has been great and rewarding!! God bless your gifts and may God continue to bless all of you.
Dear Reader, 
It is amazing how certain seasons and occasions can bring the very best out of us.  We live in a culture that enjoys celebrating.  We celebrate anniversaries, retirements, birthdays, Halloween, Father’s/ Mother’s Day, and the list goes on.  This Christmas Season will be filled with gifts, dinners and other ways of having fun with friends and family gatherings.  All this is great and these gatherings are good for relationships.  The greatest celebration  we can be a part of is the announcement or learning about the good news that a Savior has come into the world. This celebration is important because it gives us hope.  This hope is for all because God sent a Savior to give salvation to mankind.  Initially, many people might have a different response to the gospel.  The most  important  thing is that they come to accept the message of salvation at some point in their lives.
Celebrating Christmas is great but remember there is a reason for the season.  We celebrate His Birth. Once we have accepted Jesus as our Savior, a new person is born. This new person will have Christ like characteristics, that will be loving, caring, sharing and compassionate characteristics that becomes a part of this new person. During this season, which is great, people extend themselves to give to families, friends, charities, homeless and other needy groups. What happens after Christmas? Do we revert to normalcy or just wait for another holiday to continue our giving?  People who might be suffering this season will have same problems after Christmas or some other holiday we celebrate.  Other words, strive to be Christ like every day.  That is, be loving, kind hearted, sharing and sensitive to one’s needs throughout the year.  Yes, scams might be prevalent in our society but stay focused and be directed by Holy Spirit. Merry Christmas to all in Reader’s Land, celebrate His birth and have a blessed New Year.
Sadie and her committee took the boxes to Charlotte and in her own words “It was awesome!!!!”
Few more reminders:
CHRISTMAS ON THE RIDGE HOLIDAY SHOWCASE at Cumbee Place, 401 E. Main St. Ridge Spring, SC will continue until January 3, 2015.  Hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 12:30-5 p.m. and Saturdays: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cumbee Place has been enjoying seeing everyone for the Holiday Showcase it is still going on until January 3rd so stop by and see us. We are putting together winter workshops for everyone to enjoy to find out about the workshops go to our website www.cumbeeplace.com and click on the workshop link. 

Patsy Asbill: The Ridge Spring Library has been fortunate in getting people to volunteer to help keep the library open. We have enough people that we can now be open the entire day on Friday.
Harriet’s Garden will be closed for the month of January which really means I just won’t have regular hours.  If you need me call the shop.


Reminders: 
Dec. 21-Jan.5: Christmas on the Ridge Holiday Showcase
Ridge Spring Library hours: Mon/Tues 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.; Thurs 8:30 am - 12:30 pm; Fri 12:30 pm -4:30 pm; Sat 9 am -12:00 pm.
Every 2nd & 4th Monday:  Kids' Corner Story Time 10:30-11:30 a.m., at the Ridge Spring Library. 
Every 2nd Monday:  RSM Elem PTO meets at 6:30 pm in the media center. 
Every Friday & Saturday:  AARS hours 10 – 4 or by appt, free admission
Every first Tuesday of the Month:  AARS meets at 6:30, 685-5783
Every Wednesday:  AA meets at Recovery Works
Every Monday & Friday:  Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous meetings 7 pm at Recovery Works (enter on Ponderosa Drive; park in Visitor Parking Area)

Every 3rd Thursday:  FORS at Cumbee Place 5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment