Monday, January 23, 2017

January 23, 2017
Ridge Spring News
Harriet Householder

The Nut House & Country Market invites you to help celebrate Mr. Joe Cal Watson's retirement from the pecan business on Saturday, January 28th from 1-3 pm at the Nut House on Main Street in Ridge Spring. Stop by and enjoy some refreshments and give Mr. Joe Cal your best wishes!

Off the Beaten Path is excited to welcome 3 new artists to the store. New merchandise includes industrial furniture and accent pieces, personal items like shawls, scarves, and jewelry to homemade wooden signs. Hurry in to purchase a special personal gift for your special Valentine!! Cute valentine outfits for children too. Sizes limited! Open Monday & Tuesday 11-3 and Thursday-Saturday 10-5

The Gables Inn and Gardens in Ward is preparing for a Winter Retreat for scrapbookers this weekend. Looking forward to meeting new friends!  We also have Romance packages especially for the month of February. Call us about booking your special getaway night or weekend! 685-0099

The Art Association of Ridge Spring (AARS) will have a quilting Class Thursday, January 26th from 6:30-9:00 PM.  Ann Watkins will teach a quilting class with quilting frame for practice. All supplies provided for $50.00.  Call (864)941-0022 to register.
Edgefield Camellia Club: Camellia Lovers, There will be NO camellia tea at Magnolia Dale, Edgefield, SC this year.   Thank you for your past support.  We do look forward to seeing you next year at the tea.

The next Harvest Festival meeting will be on February 7 at 7:00 pm at the Ridge Spring Library.  Please feel free to attend the meeting and lend us a hand in planning for next year!

The Ridge Spring Farmers' Market will be getting a sign from the SC Association of Farmers Markets.  It will be 24” x 36” metal sign that says – “Shop Local, Buy South Carolina”. We will just need to find a place to install the sign so it will be visible….

Josie Rodgers: My Granny is breaking out of the hospital!  After 12 days receiving wonderful care at Fairfield Memorial, she is heading home to be reunited with her beloved cat Happy and to sleep in her own bed.  Our family is so thankful for the care she has received and that she is getting better and stronger each day.  We are also thankful for her dear friends who love and take care of her when we are unable to be there.  Who says senior citizens don’t have fun?  These ladies are a hoot when they are together!  God is good!
RSM Middle: The Science Fair will be held Feb. 16.  All students will complete a science project.  We are excited to see what amazing projects our students create!
RSM High:  The lovely aroma of coffee fills the halls of RSM High now that our Coffee Bean CafĂ© is up and running!  Each morning, a crowd of students and staff anxiously await their dose of coffee or cappuccino and snacks.  Smiles seem brighter and eyes more awake!
On Tues., Jan. 24, the school will hold a Renaissance Rally and celebrate all students on honor roll as well as other accolades.  Then at 12:15, these students will enjoy Trojan Island, a lunch that honors their accomplishments.  Yummy!

St. William Catholic Church Youth will be collecting stuffed animals through the end of February to donate to local organizations that assist children during troubling times.  The youth also have plans for a chili cook-off in March, the annual egg hunt in April, a Mothers’ Day dinner in May, graduation Sunday in May, Youth Sunday in June, a Fathers’ Day dinner in June, and VBS the last week of June.

This is part three and final chapter of the story of Pretty Boy the Butterfly by Rona Jay of Monetta. 
Part lll
Lisa, the young lady that wrote the article in the Augusta Chronicle, came back to visit us again and wanted to watch Pretty Boy.
I would talk to Pretty Boy off and on all day long.  He liked to get a lot of attention.  We gave it to him too.  I always would tell him how much I loved him,  He would squeeze my finger.  There are so many things that Pretty Boy could do that I am probably leaving out of this writing or that you would not believe.
He did enjoy playing on the adding machine with me, also he would stay on my hand or shoulder when I had to use the computer. He also liked staying on the counter and watching the customers.  
Pretty Boy was beginning to get some age on him as his wings were getting lighter in color and he couldn't fly as far as he had been.  His wings were thin but he still would play with us.  I began to take care of him like I would an older person.  He would hold his foot up to go around with me while I worked . At night I would feed him and he would hold his feet out for  me to wash them one by one.  When it was time for me to close up I would talk to him,  then fix him on his bed with his feet hanging on the side. 
Pretty Boy had been with us for 2 months and 4 days. The last night we were getting ready to leave after putting Pretty Boy to bed, he jumped down off of his bed and got in the middle of my desk.  I told Jimmy something was wrong as he did not want us to leave.  So we turned on the lights and I gave him a little more food and put him back in bed.  Again when we started to leave he jumped down onto my desk.  This went on for a while so we just stayed with him until he was ready to stay in bed.  So we watched to be sure he was set for the night then cut the lights out and left.
The next morning when I arrived at work before I even cut the lights on, I saw Pretty Boy in the middle of my desk with his legs down pulled behind him and he was  not moving.  I was afraid he had died.  I called his name and he pulled up his feet and started for my hand.  I turned my palm out for him to crawl up and he looked at me.  I could feel the pressure of his feet on my hand. Then his wings started to fan very, very fast and I knew he wanted to die in my hand.  He had waited on me. I feel so blessed to have had this time with Pretty Boy.
REMINDERS
Ridge Spring Library hours: Mon/Tues 8:30 am - 12 pm; Wed., 8:30 – 4:30; Thurs 8:30 am - 12:30 pm; Fri 8:30 pm -4:30 pm
Ridge Spring Post Office hours:  Mon-Fri. 7:30 am – 11:30 am; Sat 9 – 10 am
Saluda County Library Hours:  Mon/Wed 8:30 am-5 pm; Tues/Thurs 8:30 am – 6 pm; Fri 8:30 am – 5 pm; Sat closed
Recycling Center Hours: Mon/Wed/Fri 1-7; Sat 7-7; Sun 3-7; Tues/Thurs closed
First Thursday of the Month:  AARS meets at 6:30, 685-5783

Third Thursday of the Month: FORS at Library at 5:00

No comments:

Post a Comment